Believe me---I know who I will appoint to head many of these state agencies and they will all see themselves as PUBLIC SERVANTS TASKED WITH UPHOLDING RULE OF LAW AND EQUAL PROTECTION. REMEMBER, ELIMINATING FRAUD AND CORRUPTION IN MARYLAND WILL MAKE STATE TREASURY FLUSH WITH REVENUE TO PAY FOR MY AGENDA.
This list is pretty long but please glance through to see how important this election for governor is------will we continue the road to third world autocracy or return to first world democracy?
Maryland State Agency Directory
If a governor is to focus on rebuilding oversight and accountability and Rule of Law in Maryland----it will need the tools to do so. Courts are going to have to be staffed for the increased volume of white collar crime and the lawyers that can prosecute. We will need the courts to handle cases with DUE PROCESS and this all requires strong coordination and budget priorities.
The Office helps the Chief Judge of the Court of Appeals oversee and implement court policies established by the Chief Judge, the Court of Appeals, and the General Assembly. The Office prepares and administers the Judiciary budget; operates information systems; engages in planning; conducts research; and gathers and analyzes statistics and other management information (Code Courts and Judicial Proceedings Article, sec. 13-101). The Office also assists the Chief Judge in the assignment of judges to cope with temporary backlogs or to address shortages of judicial personnel. Additionally, the Office serves as liaison for the Judiciary with the legislative and executive branches.
This is where we get serious about sustainable meat and agriculture and my appointment will see industrial meat and farming replaced by small and regional businesses all across Maryland. Organic and NO GMO will be the priority but any healthy food grown locally for the citizens of Maryland will be key. Food inspections locally and quality/integrity for food brought into the state will be enforced. Food-born illness will soar if Trans Pacific Trade Pact opens our markets to developing world food sources with no oversight and inspection.
- MARYLANDAnne Arundel County
- I will make engaging the public in politics a priority and that will mean an Annapolis that is citizen-friendly in policy discussion, civics education, and political actions. The attitude in Annapolis about whom controls the legislation begins in creating the public vehicles for inspiring civic engagement.
- The people's history is the most important aspect of civics and making sure it travels all across Maryland to schools and community centers is key to engaging people to their status as citizens. My appointments would be committed to integrity in data and research which extends to what information reaches the archives. We will fund for preservation of history.
- MARYLANDAssessments & Taxation
- As everyone knows this is a key agency in making sure ALL ENTITIES CHARGED WITH BEING GOOD CITIZENS AND CORPORATIONS PAY THEIR FAIR SHARE. Progressives are not for high taxes----we are for balanced and fair revenue collection. Neo-liberals and neo-cons have skewed this so much in Maryland the inequity is glaring. We can easily reverse this working/middle class burden in taxation by returning the opportunity to pay taxes to corporations and the rich in Maryland.
- MARYLANDAttorney General
The Executive Office of Governor has the power of appointment of a State Prosecutor. As you see below the governor's office rarely uses this power but with Cindy Walsh-----this will be key in rebuilding Rule of Law and oversight and accountability in agencies like the Maryland Attorney's General and States Attorney's offices all across the state. This is the power neo-liberals and neo-cons in Maryland fear the most.
- MARYLANDBainbridge Development Corporation
- In all cases that involve public property in Maryland, Cindy Walsh will appoint heads to these agencies that see all work in this area as strictly in the public interest. You can bet that the privatization that has happened in Maryland always takes billions of dollars in public assets and we will be looking at this 'development corporation' as we will all quasi-governmental organizations across Maryland.
In June 1999, the Bainbridge Development Corporation was established as a public instrumentality of the State (Chapter 494, Acts of 1999). The Corporation works to develop the Bainbridge Naval Training Center and accelerate the transfer of the site to the private sector. The Corporation may acquire, construct, develop, manage, market, reconstruct, rehabilitate, improve, maintain, equip, lease, repair, and operate any project at the Center which closed in 1976.
- MARYLANDBaltimore City
- The state has control of several aspects of Baltimore City operations including Port of Baltimore, public schools, and state contracting and funding. As we know, it is Baltimore that has the most compromised oversight and accountability and the most quasi-governmental organizations operating with impunity. My appointments will work to restructure all of these democratic short-comings. We all want development for Baltimore but it will be equal protection, Rule of Law, and free and fair.
- MARYLANDBaltimore City Community College
- BCCC has been made a satellite of University of Maryland in partnership because the level of funding has made it unsustainable as an independent institution. This may not be a bad policy but what we do not want is the level of instruction and the vocational tracking that captures higher education for the working/middle class and poor. BCCC is that link in Baltimore and I will appoint people who see these community colleges have a strongly funded vocational tracking AND keep a strong academic tracking as well.
- MARYLANDBaltimore County
Whether suburban or rural, my appointees will all work to rebuild the public structures to public policy-making and rebuilding oversight and accountability in government at all levels. I will make sure state funds and contracts are distributed fairly to all counties in Maryland and I will encourage political voice for all points of view.
- MARYLANDBase Realignment & Closure Subcabinet
I have a huge concern over the militarization of Maryland's economy and part of that will be reflected in appointments to agencies that look hard at realignment and how space is re-appropriated and how people living and working in these areas are impacted. I support keeping the military public and not outsourced to private military contractors and I support the civil rights of citizens to privacy and protection from an aggressive policing/military presence in the state. My commitment to rebuilding a domestic economy driven by small businesses will be central in this process.
BRAC Subcabinet Mission Statement The mission of the Governor’s Subcabinet on Base Realignment and Closure (BRAC) is to enable the State of Maryland to fulfill its responsibility to support our nation’s defense and security efforts while maximizing the benefits and opportunities resulting from the U.S. Department of Defense’s BRAC process. Through a regional approach, the Subcabinet will coordinate State activities and work with the federal and local governments to prepare for and accommodate incoming households and jobs while sustaining and enhancing the quality of life throughout the State.
As we know the policies surrounding the health of the Chesapeake Bay are absolute failures and it happens because the focus is not the health of the bay but how to allow corporations to remain profitable. My appointee will rebuild environmental structures that release data that give a real picture of where we are and where we are going. As many heard just a few weeks ago Baltimore's Port received a 'F' in health even as Maryland promotes positive results. I am a passionate environmentalist and my appointments will be as well.
- MARYLANDBudget & Management
- Another critical agency when rebuilding oversight and accountability in Maryland. My budgets will recognize that ending fraud, corruption, and waste in state agencies pays for itself and leaves the State Treasury flush with money to fully fund all state services. My skills as a systems analyst will have me working with appointed heads in building the most efficient and effective government structure any elected official can build.
- MARYLANDBusiness & Economic Development
- This agency is critical in reversing the emphasis from national and global corporate control of Maryland's economy to one that is domestic with small and regional businesses. Maryland has plenty of money to rebuild its domestic economy and with unemployment at 36% and small businesses being pushed into bankruptcy by these large corporations----sending money to support the citizens of Maryland is a must. Also, Trans Pacific Trade Pact is about handing control of state and local economies to these global corporations and if we keep them at bay in Maryland----we will maintain our rights as citizens.
- MARYLANDCanal Place Preservation & Development Authority
- My appointees will make sure that all treasured state property remains public and receives the funding needed to make them destination places for citizens wanting to remain in touch with Maryland's history. We have beautiful trails and parks along he canal and I will accentuate this natural resource.
- MARYLANDCaroline County
- MARYLANDCarroll County
- MARYLANDCecil County
- MARYLANDCharles County
- MARYLANDChesapeake Bay Trust
My appointee will be dedicated to making sure all funding designated for greening and environment actually reach programs doing just that. The Chesapeake Bay's greatest threat is the Port of Baltimore's global cargo shipping hub and industrial meat and agriculture.....global warming and acidity will change the bay's ecosystem and we have to have policy that acknowledges these changes. I will make the Bay preservation a priority.
- MARYLANDCollege Savings Plans of Maryland
Do you know the problem for families wanting to send their children to school? Corporatized universities campuses that create the high tuition and make it harder for Maryland citizens to gain acceptance into the best public universities in the state. The problems with College Savings Plans is the same with all of our retirement plans-----financial markets are not honest and these savings rarely are able to keep value. So, my State Bank policy will allow people to simply place their money in ordinary savings accounts with simple interest rates that reflect real inflation rates.
- MARYLANDCommission on Civil Rights
- My appointee would actively engage in assuring civil rights and liberties were enforced in Maryland. Having a form to submit with violations and an arduous system to seek justice is not a functioning civil rights agency. Everyone needs to know that civil rights affects everyone. We all know the Bill of Rights are under attack in today's global corporate control and all civil rights need to be protected.
- MARYLANDComptroller of Maryland
I will have a special office overseeing taxation and look especially at the designation of non-profit as regards corporations and b-corp and s-corp tax allocation. We have a system of tax avoidance by the rich and corporations that literally empties our state and local coffers and demanding that all pay their fair share is Rule of Law. The Comptroller can be lax in these duties and as governor I will use my bully-pit to seek tax revenue justice in Maryland.
Progressive taxation does not mean more taxation-----it means fair and balanced taxation. Individuals and small businesses should not bear the burden as corporations and the rich pay little or nothing. We are not afraid of tax cheats leaving the state-----we encourage it.
- Any family with a member with disabilities know that the goal recently has been to defund and privatize this important agency. Indeed, even special needs children are being placed into tiered funding and what was the strongest system for disabilities protection in the world is being dismantled because of lost corporate tax base. My appointee will rebuild the public agency and oversight and accountability to make sure funds are spent in the public interest. The problem in Maryland is not the funding of social services as an expense----it is the fraud, corruption, and waste tied with how social funding is used.
- MARYLANDDorchester County
This is a critical agency for me. I will appoint education heads that will replace Race to the Top and Common Core with strong funding of public schools with money going to classrooms and not Wall Street education businesses. We can rebuild oversight and accountability and rigor into our community schools with strong funding, resources, and help for teachers in classrooms that has been denied for decades because of inadequate funding and/or oversight of that funding.
I will dismantle the corporate structures that have our public universities captured into corporate subsidies of Research and Development and Human Resources. This will bring tuition costs down and open public funding of financial aid and grants now taken by corporate subsidy. We must keep our public universities PUBLIC not only for democracy, but to have an avenue of data that is reliable and public interest. Holding power accountable is the duty of our public universities.
- My appointee will actually enforce environmental law and will actively engage in identifying areas needing attention across the state. We will sue when needed and we will hold corporations accountable for damage. For those who think environmental law goes too far---we will talk with the public to address concerns. I know the problems small farmers and watermen face with laws hitting them hard and we know the culprits are higher up the development ladder.
- MARYLANDExecutive Commissions, Committees, Task Forces and Advisory Boards
These are critical agencies for taking back control of commissions filled with people working in the corporate and shareholder interest and not in the public interest. We have plenty of public service and public works legislation coming down and with the Federal government funding many projects we need commissioners that rule on the side of the public and agencies that make oversight and accountability a priority in moving all state projects forward. This one set of agencies are what corporations push neo-liberal candidates in Maryland elections. This is where the corporate capture is felt the most.
- MARYLANDFrederick County
- MARYLANDGeneral Assembly
Reinstating Rule of Law and government accountability includes ethics and violations of public malfeasance and the culture of special treatment for some Maryland citizens over others will go with my appointees looking closely at political connections to state funding, lobbying, racketeering, and how elections are handled. The Maryland Assembly is charged with oversight and I would make sure that oversight happens.
THE CLUBBY, CRONY CULTURE MUST GO!
- MARYLANDGeneral Services
- My appointees would see having the state renting the facilities in which they work-----a bad public policy. The outsourcing in this agency is so systemic and counter to public interest that we will need to rebuild the public interest into how this agency operates. It is not in the public interest to move state costs from paying public employee a good wage to handing that work to a private contractor that then soaks the state for more money than that state employee costs. We do not want to impoverish our citizens in the guise of moving that revenue into the pockets of private contractor profit. We can make sure there is adequate state work for private contractors while keeping our public sector strong. There will be balance in this administration and state awards will be in the public interest. Do you think they are giving great service? REALLY???
Our Mission The mission of the Maryland Department of General Services is to provide leading-edge professional and technical services to keep State and local government working today and in the future.
We do this by creating safe and secure work environments; designing, building, leasing, managing and maintaining facilities; leading energy conservation efforts; procuring goods and services; and providing essential functions such as fuel management, disposition of surplus property and records storage.
We are committed to DOING GREAT SERVICE!
This is easy for me----Citizens Oversight Maryland will simply become the government blog. I will expand it to all government activities and make sure the information coming to the citizens from government originates for real data and research.
- MARYLANDGovernment House Trust
- I have a passion for historic structures and will make sure to appoint people that seek integrity in historical preservation. Funding for preservation will be important.
- MARYLANDGovernor's Commission on Small Business
- MARYLANDGovernor's Council on the Chesapeake Bay
- This council appears to only exist to make the current governor look as if he is actually concerned about the environment.
- MARYLANDGovernor's Grants Office
- Emphasis on private non-profits with local community connections will take priority over those with corporate connections. Right now we have Federal funding coming straight to corporate non-profits without any public input and that will change. My appointee will be looking for community groups needing funding and looking closely at how Federal money travels to corporate non-profits. We must have oversight and accountability as to the use of these funds, the efficacy of the programs, and the feedback from the groups this funding seeks to help.
- MARYLANDGovernor's Office
- My focus through the governor's office will be to rebuild the public voice in the state government process so opening and expanding the state's business to the public through media, internet, local community resources like community centers, schools, and parks will be a priority for my administration. The key is building networks for the citizens of Maryland that encourage civic engagement-----policy awareness-----and the overall goal of all policy moving through the Maryland Assembly and how Federal policy affects Maryland citizens.
MARYLANDGovernor's Office of Children
- MARYLANDGovernor's Office of Crime Control and Prevention
- This needs to be completely rebuilt. We need a strong emphasis on white collar criminal activity and the use of money saved from fraud and corruption used to rebuild community outreach and services to aid in preventing street crime. For those thinking getting tough on street crime only needs more policing muscle----there is no winning when repression is the model. Restoring development to underserved communities that actually help the people in those communities is key.
- The term community policing is always used but almost never implemented. We need police to see themselves as public servants tasked with doing no harm. Citizens of Maryland should not fear a loss of Constitutional rights in the efforts of the police to protect and serve.
- MARYLANDGovernor's Office of Homeland Security
- My appointee will act as a partner with the Federal government acting as an advocate for protection from security overreach in the efforts to keep the American people safe from outside attack. The amounts of money spent on protecting corporate interests is super-sized and needs to change and I will work hard to see that security meets with people's Constitutional rights. We do need to be vigilant----but the pendulum has swung too far to repressive.
- MARYLANDGovernor's Office of Minority Affairs
- My appointee will look to create a healthy partnership with all minorities keeping in mind the need to update what minority means. Right now this agency operates in ways that look to use this agency to the benefit of corporate profit and my administration will look at this agency in providing meaningful and long-term economic and community stability. It will view all people allowed to work in Maryland as protected under law to the best of my ability and it will seek to strengthen the small business owner by looking closely at contract awards and the process of subcontracting in ways that do not allow Maryland businesses to prosper.
- We have diversity in Maryland that is good for everyone but if justice does not accompany minority growth, then all will be affected.
- MARYLANDGovernor's Office of Service and Volunteerism
- The biggest obligation of a governor to the citizens of Maryland is making sure all citizens have employment and that this employment can support a family. We must reduce the 36% unemployment and higher in Baltimore before we push volunteerism. We have college grads wanting to start careers being made to work in low-wage public service when we need them working full time. The stagnant economy is tied with allowing national and global corporations control the economy so reversing this to a domestic economy will bring employment numbers to full employment. When we reach this goal---then public service and volunteerism becomes the next stage in civic duty.
- MARYLANDGovernor's Office of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing
- I will fight for strong funding and services for all people with disabilities and my appointee will see to it that equal opportunity and access remain in place for disabled.
MARYLANDGovernor's Workforce Investment Board
- MARYLANDHarford County
- MARYLANDHealth & Mental Hygiene
- Health care is near and dear with me and my appointees will rebuild what is the most private and profit-driven state health system into a public health system with Expanded and Improved Medicare for All. I will not allow the Federal program Medicare be dismantled but will make it stronger and provide equal care for all by simply ending fraud, corruption, and waste throughout the health industry. Simply building oversight and accountability will pay for this Medicare for All program.
- MARYLANDHealth Care Alternative Dispute Resolution Office
I would need to look at this agency to see if it works in the public interest. Maryland has some of the worst legal protections for its citizens giving corporations protections at every turn. People must have legal recourse for damages and health care professionals have to feel there are consequences for bad practice. Excessive medical awards do not represent justice.
Those listening to Johns Hopkins' WYPR this morning had a LOL moment. Political 'analyst' Fraser Smith had Maryland's pollster on the program trying to make selective polling sound random and Fraser wanted to address why Eric Cantor's election defeat to a political newcomer after Virginia's polling pretended Cantor was ahead by as much as 20%. The answer is of course----Virginia polls are as corrupt as Maryland's. Fraser was particularly concerned about Maryland's newcomer possibly taking those votes and the pollster said----don't worry----if anything the votes will go to Mizeur and she is a neo-liberal ready to push the Clinton agenda. WYPR then went on to list all of the republican candidates for governor -------and only the same three neo-liberals.
CINDY WALSH FOR GOVERNOR HAS A VERY WIDE FOLLOWING ALL OVER THE STATE AND YOU CAN BET THAT THESE LOW POLLING FIGURES FOR NEO-LIBERALS WILL TRANSFER TO ME. PLEASE DO NOT STAY HOME IN APATHY------GET OUT AND VOTE FOR THE ONLY PEOPLE'S CANDIDATE IN THE DEMOCRATIC RACE!!!!
Eric Cantor's Pollster Tries to Explain Why His Survey Showed Cantor Up 34 Points
This was not the first time Cantor pollster John McLaughlin has been wrong. House Majority Leader Eric Cantor's own polling showed him with a wide lead before he lost his primary.(Liz Lynch)
Eric Cantor's pollster whiffed.
Less than a week before voters dumped the House majority leader, an internal poll for Cantor's campaign, trumpeted to the Washington Post, showed Cantor cruising to a 34-point victory in his primary. Instead, Cantor got crushed, losing by 10 percentage points.
How did Cantor's pollster, veteran Republican survey-taker John McLaughlin, get the historic race so terribly wrong?
First, let's look at the poll. The survey had Cantor ahead of his opponent, little-known professor David Brat, 62 percent to 28 percent, with 11 percent of voters undecided, according to the Post. It polled 400 likely Republican primary voters on May 27 and 28.
It was supposed to have had a margin of error of 4.9 percentage points. The error, of course, was far larger. Statistically, polls are expected to fall outside that margin of error on 1 in 20 surveys. But in the end, it undercounted Brat's support by about 27 percentage points and overestimated Cantor's by 17 points. The poll was widely mocked on Twitter.
In an email to National Journal, McLaughlin, whose firm has been paid nearly $75,000 by Cantor's campaign since 2013, offered several explanations: unexpectedly high turnout, last-minute Democratic meddling, and stinging late attacks on amnesty and immigration.
"Primary turnout was 45,000 2 years ago," McLaughlin wrote. "This time 65,000. This was an almost 50% increase in turnout."
Translation: McLaughlin's estimate of who was a "likely Republican" voter was way, way off the mark. But Cantor's total number of votes still shrank, even as the total number of primary voters went up dramatically in 2014. He secured 37,369 primary votes in 2012 and less than 29,000 this year, with 100 percent of precincts reporting.
Meanwhile, McLaughin wrote that "attacks on immigration and amnesty charges from the right in last week hurt."
Then McLaughlin cited the "Cooter" factor – the fact that former Rep. Ben Jones, a Georgia Democrat who played Cooter in The Dukes of Hazzard, had written an open letter urging Democrats to vote for Brat to help beat Cantor.
"Over the weekend Democrats like Ben Jones and liberal media were driving their Democratic voters on the internet into the open primary," McLaughlin wrote. "Eric got hit from right and left. In our polls two weeks out Eric was stronger with Republicans at 70% of the vote, but running under 50% among non Republicans."
"Untold story," McLaughlin continued, "is who were the new primary voters? They were probably not Republicans."
Another problem, unmentioned by McLaughlin in the email, was timing. The poll was conducted May 27 and 28 but leaked to the Post on June 6. The dynamics on the ground could well have shifted by then, but Team Cantor may have wanted to put on a happy face. They ended up with egg on it instead.
This was not McLaughlin's first out-of-whack-with-the-results poll. For instance, a 2013 McLaughlin survey showing Democrat Ed Markey nearly tied in his Massachusetts Senate race inspired California winemaker John Jordan to plunge $1.4 million of his own money into a super PAC backing Markey's opponent. Markey won by 10 percentage points.
David Nir of Daily Kos Elections compiled a list last year of inaccurate McLaughlin surveys. In October 2012, McLaughlin polls showed Mitt Romney winning in Colorado (by 4 points) and Virginia (by 7 points), even though Romney lost those states by 5 points and 4 points, respectively. In late October 2012, a McLaughlin poll in Rhode Island showed Democratic Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse up by only 8 points against his GOP challenger. Whitehouse won by 30.
Even that poll, though, was more accurate than his last one for Cantor.